This New Year, let us resolve to be women who glorify God with our eyes set on the Lord, for He is our great reward
by Vanessa White
I found something better than a New Year’s resolution, and I would love to share it with you. I have often said this; I absolutely love gleaning from godly women, and I could never say it enough. They pass down precious gems of wisdom and knowledge, tried and tested. They point us to Christ and His Holy Word.
Sometimes it’s hard to find godly mentors who are willing to take the time and invest in the lives of others. I’m incredibly thankful for those women who come alongside and are about discipleship, the importance of prayer, character building, and Christian living.
Titus 2 Mandate
I love learning about the heroes of the faith, past missionaries, and solid biblical Christian authors because they have answered the call of the Titus, two mandate found in God’s Word.
Titus 2:1, “But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.”
Titus 2:3-5, “Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.”
I have read Elizabeth George’s article 5 Steps to Increase in Godly Wisdom; it is filled with biblical truth and has helped me tremendously. I have implemented what she has said, and it has been a blessing; it is better than a New Year’s resolution! Each year, she creates five files. Stay with me, and I’ll share more.
5 Steps to Increase in Godly Wisdom
"When we look to our Savior’s example of how we should love, we see that “Jesus increased in wisdom” (Luke 2:52). A proverb that is a constant challenge to me reflects the importance of such growth stating, “The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness” (Proverbs 15:14).
Put another way, an intelligent person purposefully seeks knowledge, but fools nibble randomly, vacantly chewing on words and ideas that have no value, no flavor, and no nutrition." Read More, Sorce: Elizabeth George's article 5 Steps to Increase in Godly Wisdom
It is incredible to see what God has done; the first step I took was to pray and give it all to the Lord; I wanted practical help with homemaking and being the woman of God that He has called me to be.
I have five files that I am filling and working on; I want to expand and aim for expertise and pour into the lives and ministries of others.
God has answered my prayer; He has given me a heart for my home, my dear husband, and my precious children. If you want to know my story, ask me, it is only by the grace of God that my heart can articulate these things. He has done a miracle in my life and has revived this dead heart of mine.
Forgiveness and LOVE triumph’s over all evil. Satan is a deceiver and a liar. John 10:10-11 says, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”
So thankful God fights for us and defends us! He is our Mighty defender. I cannot help but give Him the praise and glory. We all fall short and sin, and I am so thankful for the Lord’s forgiveness, His mercy, and His grace.
In Elizabeth George’s article, she writes about creating five file folders each year, selecting five areas to become an expert in, and labeling the files accordingly. To learn more read her article. Here are the five areas I have prayed about and want to grow.
5 file folders
- The number 1 area I wanted to work on is prayer! I want to be God’s mighty princess warrior; I want to be His weapon of war against the hands of the enemy through battling in prayer. I want to live a holy lifestyle and dedicate my life to Lord for His glory as I stand against the spiritual attacks of the enemy. Spiritual warfare is a real thing. I want to be a soul-winner by praying and interceding for the lives of others. There are countless scriptures on prayer and spiritual warfare and many excellent biblical books about prayer. My heart’s cry is this, let my home be a house of prayer, a house of worship, a house of grace and mercy, a house of peace, and a house of love and joy.
- Heroes of the Faith, studying Amy Carmichael’s life, Edith Schaeffer, Darlene Diebler Rose, and so many more have been so rewarding, enriching, and encouraging. Their lives speak to the depths of my soul, and seeing God’s mighty power working through them in their humility, graciousness, femininity; they definitely had servants’ hearts; they were such lovely extraordinary women who were wholeheartedly devoted to Christ, His kingdom, and His mission. Have you ever heard about them? If not, look them up and study their lives; you will not regret it.
- Biblical Womanhood, I love this one! This folder is filling rapidly; I love everything Biblical Womanhood entails. I find many gems from God’s Word about the godly women in the bible and studying the Proverbs 31 woman. There are many books on biblical Womanhood; I love Elisabeth Elliot, Elisabeth George, Susan Hunt, Elyse Fitzpatrick, and many more!
- Homemaking, cultivating a heart for my home. Homemaking is an area that I want to flourish in, and I want to be a beautiful, fruitful vine for the glory of God, where God’s love abides and His presence dwells. A home that is a safe haven, where hearts can share, and prayers are shared, meals are given with love and care, tenderness and grace extends in our hearts; sure, I fail, but with God, all things are possible, so I’m looking to Him, and each morning His mercies are new. I’m not looking to the past; I’m looking ahead with my eyes on the prize, which is Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Theology is studying to know God, our Creator, to know His character, His attributes, the Bible says, in Exodus 15:11 His holiness is majestic! I want to know Him and Behold Him. 2 Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them.Psalm 111:2
When I try to do things in my own strength, it never goes well for me, I lose motivation and lose the desire to keep going, or I get bored and on to a new project I go.
When I place things in the LORD’S hands, meaning I relinquish control and give Him my desires, goals, dreams, anxieties, all my cares and concerns, and whatever goes through this mind. He sustains me and places His desires for me in my heart. I can accomplish what I need to when I trust and keep my eyes on Him, and it’s all by His grace and in His perfect timing. Philippians 1:6, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
So if you are up to it, please join me! Instead of some other new years resolution fad, let’s be women who look to the LORD, trusting He will work all things out. Will you join me in prayerfully considering and creating five file folders? I would love to pray and cheer you on and see what God is doing in your life. Please reach out to me through Instagram or the contact tab on this website.